The Female Bosses of Poker
Poker is becoming increasingly popular, to play at home, at casinos, or of course online. However, when the World Series of Poker event comes into mind, you often think of suave, successful men in suits.
However, there are several women poker players out there have rubbished such stereotypes and took the poker industry by storm.
Here we take you through the top ten biggest female names in poker.
10. Sandra Naujoks has scooped over $2 million whilst playing poker. The German is hugely successful and her talent was noticed in 2009 as she won a total of $1.1 million after winning big in the European Poker Tour.
9. Olivia Boeree, known as Liv or the Iron Maiden has a wealth of talent behind her. The English poker star is also a TV presenter and model. In 2010 she took home a staggering $1.7 million from Sanremo’s European Poker Tour.
8. Victoria Coren made history in 2006 as she became the first ever woman to win a main event in the European Poker Tour, a win which made her near enough $1 million. Much like Liv Boeree, poker is not Coren’s only talent. She also plies her trade as a TV presenter, journalist and writer.
7. Jennifer Harman is said to have made almost $3 million through poker. The 51-year-old is one of only two women to win two World Series of Poker bracelets, collecting them in 2000 and 2002.
6. As well as holding a master’s degree in computer engineering, Joanne Liu can also be considered a master of poker. She is the highest placing female in a World Poker Tour Championship and has been playing poker in said tour since the mid-90s. Her winnings total $3 million to date.
5. Vanessa Rousso has made roughly $3.5 million playing poker and often wins big playing live poker events. Live poker is not Rousso’s only forte, she has won over $1 million playing online poker. She first came to light in the 2006 World Poker Tour Championships and has been going strong ever since.
4. Anette Obrestad is one of the youngest people ever to win a World Series of Poker bracelet. She accomplished the amazing feat in 2007 at the World Series of Poker Europe where she scooped a total of $2 million. The Norwegian is current in the top 100 in the WSOP.
3. Annie Duke has taken home more than $4 million in poker winnings, with her biggest tournament win scooping a staggering $2million. She is currently the only woman to win the NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship and it could be said that talent runs in the family as two time WPT champion Howard Lederer happens to be her brother.
2. With a fortune just shy of $6 million, Kathy Liebert is one of the richest female poker players out there. She has spent two decades playing in the WSOP and has one bracelet, with her biggest tournament win currently standing at $1 million.
1. Vanessa Selbst is like no other. She is number one on the Woman’s All-Time Money List and on the global, official All-Time Money List she comes in at an impressive 21st. She is the only female to have three WSOP to her name and is the only poker player to win the same North American Poker Tour Main Event consecutively. She has over $10 million in winnings thus far.